Internal space 3 x 3
The photos say it all, the truly spectacular, panoramic views that this client's garden afforded, deserved to be enjoyed ALL year, whether that be soaking up summer rays or curling up with a cuppa to watch the changing palette of stormy skies. This amazing garden, ostensibly crafted from the side of a cliff, is a feat of engineering and a labour of love. The garden room that the client wished to create was to be the jewel in its crown and her place to relax, entertain and enjoy those incredible views. The client knew that access posed a logistical challenge which could deter the faint hearted, but she knew it was the perfect site. So the brief was simple: to build a substantial bespoke contemporary garden room, able to withstand extreme exposure to the elements for many decades, on a site only accessible down 180 steep zigzagging steps!
Garden Spaces surveyed the site and listened to the client's requirements and vision. Together we designed a unique building which offered both internal and external space " with the latter still sheltered by a beautifully engineered overhanging roof. Whilst on site, the surveyor created 3D images, to scale, to enable the client to visualise and tweak her concept further. It was a collaborative process with the client delighted by the final design. It incorporated high quality features, many of which are fitted as standard with our 'Elegans' range:
- Western red cedar cladding (which if left would weather beautifully maintenance free or if desired can be oiled annually to retain its rich honey colours)
- Aluminium powder coated bi-fold doors, French doors and side windows to maximise light and views.
- Integral blinds in all glazing enabling fine control of light whilst maintenance free.
- Superbly realistic artificial grass, specified by the client, used for both the outside covered area and the roof, allowing the building to blend with its garden surroundings.
- Down lighting both internally and externally, to prolong those summers' evenings as the light dwindles.
The thermally efficient SIPs (structurally insulated panel system) construction, together with the argon filled A rated double glazing and wall mounted convector heater ensures the building is kept at a perfect temperature winter and summer with minimal energy costs.
Access was undeniably challenging but not a problem for our build team who were happily fitter by the time they left site! And, whilst the photographs try to do justice to the scenery they absolutely demonstrate how aesthetically the building hugs the steep slopes to create this unique garden space.